Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Open K Work at Kanakuk

Today was a really fun day. This morning your kiddos continued with a fun day of partybarn, ski day, zipline and all sorts of activities. This afternoon your kids got two hours to go around and get more points on for their Ks. What is a K? Well, its like a Letter you would put on a Lettermans Jacket. I have seen many girls frame them, some have them sewn on a blanket, or they are like me and I kept them in a box. The girls work soooo hard to get their Ks. They get points for everything they do (in 8 activities) and at the end of the term we tally them all up. They have to acheive a certain amount of points to get a specific K. The order of Ks are as follows

Midget K
Mini K
Little K
Big K
Super K

I thought it would be fun to share with you the requirements from 1931 at Kanakuk Kamps for boys.

To get your Big K you had to do the following:
1. Hike 75 miles (back then you stayed all summer mostly so I am sure this was an
accumulation
2. Handle Canoe Well
3. Handle Horse Well
4. Shoot 35 ouf possible 50 with rifle
5. Equivelant in Archery
6. Swin Lake and Back (back then it was the White River)
7. Pass Jr. Red Cross
8. Know 10 birds
9. Know 10 trees
10. Know Constellations
11. Know Poison Ivy
12. Know Characteristics of Poisonous snakes
13. Tie 5 Knots
14. Pass First Aid
15. Catch, Mount, and identify 5 kinds of butterflies

Oh, how things change. Rest assured your daughter did not hike 75 miles :) Darnell White wrote a book called the Legacy of Kanakuk. IT is fabulous and I think its a neat thing to have at your house. You can buy it at the Kanakuk Store. Anway, Its tells the K requirements back in 1931.

This brings me to the next part of what I love about Kanakuk....its traditions. Not many things in this world hold to traditions. I know that its always great to try things new but a few traditions in life are a good thing. What traditions do is they create a bridge between Generations with shared experiences. IT is really neat to see that you are apart of something that has lasted longer than you have been alive and even longer than your mom or dad or grandparents have been alive. I think its an earthly reminder to me to leave a legacy. I want to always make sure I am a part of something that will last longer than your lifespan. Being part of the body of Christ is exactly that!

No comments: