Thursday, February 25, 2010

Kanakuk Crafty Thing of the week: T-Shirt Necklace



I don't know about you but one of my favorite things at Kanakuk is making crafts! I am in the process of picking what I will be doing with you this summer. ( A couple years ago I did the flower rings and last year I did the ribbon clips) Here is a fun craft that I found online. A t-shirt necklace. These can be as easy and you want and as elaborate as you want. Here is my simplified instrustions:

1.) Pick an Old T-shirt or two
2.) Cut strips as long as you want your necklace to be. The strips will curl up when you cut so cut a 1 inch strip and it will be 1/4 inch when it is curled up. It could be cool to cut different widths.



How to cut:
Figure out which way the Grain is going (see picture) The grain are the little lines that form your t-shirt. If you stretch it...you can see them!


1.) If you want the front of your shirt to show then cut alonside of the grain (the samde direction)
2.) If you want the backside to show then cut across the grain.

Beads and other stuff:
You can put fun stuff on there if you want, just cut the strips small enough to put your favorite bead through. Or you can put knots in it or pin things onto them. You can sew buttons or ribbon...The sky is the limit.

Finishing The Necklace:
1.) Get a small key ring or index card ring.
2.) tie the ends of your necklace to the ring. (See picture)
3.) You want the necklace to be one that you can easily put over your head.


I am going to try and make one tonight! I will post my picture tomorrow!

No comments: