Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Christmas 1988

Many of you know that Kanakuk has been apart of my life for a long time.  I was a kamper for 7 years and  I have now worked on staff with Kanakuk 15 years.  Of course my first 6 years were only working in the summers.  This summer I will have been here full time for 9 years!  Ladies, (I guess and gentlemen if my husband is reading) here is where it all began.  My first summer at Kanakuk was summer of 1989 but I had no idea that I was going to camp until my parents gave me Kanakuk for Christmas.  My best friend had gone the year before and had told me all about it.  I saw the video and was sold.  My parents claimed they had to "think about it" but little did I know that they had already signed me up.  When I was a kid there were only 4 camps.  You could go to K-1, K-2, K-3 (which is now K-West), and K-4 (which is now K-Kountry).  Since there was only 4 camps you had to sign up really early to get a spot.  They sent you a letter if you got a spot.  (They didn't have email back in the day)  My mom wrapped that letter up and put it under the tree.  Check it out:



Did you notice that I had a perm?  Its the only perm I have ever had and its the only perm I ever will have.  You probably cannot tell but I have on my Christmas PJs.  I got a pair every year.  There are three ducks holding up three wreaths.  At the top it says in big bold letters..."Duck the Halls". 

By the way, kamp is a great christmas gift moms and dads.  In my life it was the gift that kept on giving.  That summer (in 1989) I gave my life to Christ in Barn 5 at K-4 (K-Kountry)  Another great Christmas gift is sponsoring a kid to go to Kids Across America.  If you love kamp why dont you share it with someone who cannot afford to go to kamp.  Click here to find out more info  OR go to their website.  http://www.kidsacrossamerica.org/

5 comments:

Mary Powell said...

GREAT GREAT video :-)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that!

Stevie-Lynn said...

Ok, That was awesome!!! Love it!

Megan said...

that was hilarious. classic Reno reaction. :)

Disappearing Before Your Eyes said...

This definitely made my day! Thanks for sharing :)Hope your doing good!