Monday, September 13, 2010

Top Ten Things I miss About Kamp this September Monday

Well, we are officially a month out from kamp.  Kamp ended on August 12 and the last bit of staff left on August 13th.  So today, I started thinking about what I missed about kamp.  Here is my top ten list

10.)  The tree house.  Sometimes its hot up there and I am there alot in the summer, but today I miss getting to hear the lifestory of everyone that I hook up to rapel down or climb up.

9.)  Ice Cream.  Yes, I know that I can have lots of good icecream now, but kamp icecream after a hot meal on a hot day.  There is no sweeter thing!

8.)  Peat Gravel.  Random, I know but for 3 months of the summer I hear my steps crunch when I walk.  Sometime, right after kamp, I almost expect to hear the crunch.  Its a great sound.

7.)  Stinky shoes.  Well, maybe I don't miss the smell or the sweat, but outside of kamp, its not as special to put your flip flops on.  The moments at camp when you get to take your shoes off and put your flops on....its a little slice of heaven and joy.  Now, there just everyday flip flops.

6.)  Morning chats with our head cook Jeanie.  As you know, I lived on the boys side at kamp (or maybe you didn't know that)  That is where my house is.  Every morning I got up at 6 am and I had to walk thru  the dining hall to get to my desk.  Jeanie, our cook, was faithfully making breakfast.  I would always stop to say "Hello."  Great way to start my day.

5.)  High Fashion is nike shorts, ponytail and a flower headband.  Don't get me wrong, I love my job in the off season, but I love the laid back atmosphere at kamp.  Get up, put your hair in a "pony", put your flower headband on (the one you made in craft class) and go to flag.

4.)  K-Life - does anyone laugh like I do at K-Life.  I try to stay laughing year round...but not as much as I do at skits like the scraper video.  I miss K-life.

3.)  Parties, I mean I get to dress up in costumes for my job?  Kamp is the best job ever!

2.)  Moments.  There are thousands of them everyday and they all mean something special....to a ton of different people.  It could be memories in the making, frienships being formed, the funniest thing you have ever seen, the craziest experience ever, the coolest thing you saw, or the time that impacted your life the most.

1.)  The people.  Kampers, staff, leadership, kitchies, counselors, nurses, tripmen, office girls, osages... where in the world do you find about 400 people who are having fun, seeking to live for Jesus and  all in the same place?    K-1  (and of course kanakuk's other kamps!)

why do you miss camp?  comment below.  Love ya'll

3 comments:

jess said...

I miss FOB with the roar of the giant fans in the cabins lulling you to sleep. And frito pie. And yeah, I loved the pea gravel crunch too.

Great memories. It's the best place on earth, I think!

rachel blazer said...

i miss these things more than you know!! i miss the smell of freshly mopped wood floors in cabins, the splash of the fountain & the tree frogs at night, the bounce of the floor in the girl's gym... i really really miss the sound of 160 beautiful little girls lifting their voices to sing grace before meals. kamp life is sweet, no doubt about it!

Unknown said...

I miss seeing Jennifer Reno at camp! And all the wonderful kids that go there. I love seeing all the great staff members. The nurse's station and meeting all kinds of new people. I get to hang out with my son Lee Farley and his awesome wife Jennifer!!