Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Taking a break from the iPad

Yes, this Christmas my hubby and I got an ipad.  Yes, we entered the world of being technologically cool.  (well, at least until apple comes out with a new gadget)  I read they had some convention that introduced all the new tablets, basically every other company's version of the ipad.  All reviews said that all the other company's don't even compete.  They are really all competing for second place.  The ipad, in all its splendor, can do so much BUT I am noticing one thing...it can consume your time.  I have had my ipad for a month (I got it a few weeks before Christmas because that is when I celebrated Christmas with my side of the family) and I am already having to put boudaries on that thing.  When you dont have anything to do the easiest thing to do is pick up the ipad.  Why not waste your time surfing the net once agian, why not play angry birds, why not find a new cool app?

A guy wrote an article about taking his ipad back because of this.  His thought was in the moments of boredom creativity comes out....great thoughts come.  I agree!  What about taking the time to think?  What about taking the time to help someone out or even just do something for yourself?  -HAve you ever had a computer/ipad 10 minutes?  Where you get on the internet for 10 minutes and you look up and its and hour later?  I promised my sweet dog a walk and then I surfed excercise time away from her!

Okay, I am not taking my ipad back but I am determined to use this thing for all it can do but also not use it all the time!  I need to put it down, walk my dog, and think!

Here are my favorite thing to do on the Ipad
  • My husband really likes angry birds.  It gets old to me.
  • I like ipaper.  Its a toilet paper roll game where you touch the screen as fast as you can get the toilet paper roll to unroll.  Its hillarious.  Its fun to challenge people in a group.  I can do it in 7 seconds.  Lees' cousin Stephanie can do it in four seconds!
  • Pulse News - I can put all my blogs/news that I watch and they all pull up in a film strip.  If there is a new post I can see it and click on it.
  • The ESPN app.  I can pick my team and it pops up whenever my team is playing and what the score is!  Perfect for OU basketball.  There are so many games that I could never keep up.
  • Netflix - We don't have a t.v. in our room but now we can watch a movie as long as there is internet...aiport, car (my phone can be used for internet!)  Its way better than any portable DVD player.

No comments: