Monday, October 29, 2012

Tree House Ice Cream Recipe!

How was your weekend girls??

I hope you all had a great time! Did anybody carve a pumpkin? If you did, you should send me a picture  I will post it on the blog!

How many of you girls got to spend a night in the tree house this summer?! I have a confession for you... I have never gotten the opportunity! But I know that if you do, you get to have some pretty great ice cream! Depending on when you were here this summer, either Ross or Josh made some of the best ice cream I bet you have ever had!

I was lucky and Ross taught me how to make it so today, yes today, I am going to teach you girls! There are a few things you are going to need to make this work...

An ice cream maker (there are all sorts but I think the old fashion ones make the best batches!)

5 Cups of whipping cream
4 Cups of milk
3 Cups of Half n Half
1 drinking cup of sugar (we use the cups your drink from at kamp for this)
2 splashes of vanilla
Dash of salt
Rock Salt

In the metal cylinder pour in the whipping cream, milk, and half n half. Then pour in the sugar, vanilla and a little bit of salt (key phrase: little bit). Put the cylinder in the wooden bucket and fill up the bucket with a layer of ice followed by a layer of rock salt. Continue this pattern until the bucket is full to the brim with ice. ***IMPORTANT*** Be generous with your rock salt!! If you skimp on it your ice cream won't be creamy!!

Turn on the machine or start cranking (depending on what type of machine you have) for 10-15 minutes. Make sure to keep adding ice and rock salt! During this time you should start cutting up or smashing your flavor ingredients! For this example I'll tell you my favorite... MINT OREO! SO GOOD!!!!! I mash up a package of mint oreos and add in a few teaspoons of mint extract. But you can really do anything! You can add in any type of candy or fruit. I have even seen people put cereal in their ice cream! Be creative!

Once you add in your toppings to the cylinder go ahead and mix them for about 10-15 more minutes. You want to watch the ice level and add more ice and rock salt as it goes. After about 20-25 total minutes of being mixed start checking to see if it is ready or not. It will look nice and creamy when it is!

You can put it in a bowl and freeze it or eat it right away! Either way... you have just made yourself some awesome ice cream!!!

Enjoy!
Logan

No comments: